Housing benefit and other Financial Help

Housing Benefit

In order to claim housing benefit you need to complete an intention to claim Housing Benefit form. Or if you are currently claiming Housing Benefit you must complete a change of circumstances form.

We pass on all documents to our dedicated Housing Benefit team who will contact you via telephone/e-mail or letter to make an appointment to complete your claim.

All claims are completed on line. To make a claim visit: www.walthamforest.gov.uk/benefits

You must provide all the original documents requested by Housing Benefit within the timescales and without delay.

You must inform Housing Benefit immediately if there are any changes in your circumstances such as a change in your income or the number of people that live at your home.

Waltham Forest Community Credit Union (WFCCU)

Waltham Forest Community Credit Union (WFCCU) is a financial cooperative for people who live, work, study or worship in the borough.

Some members will save regularly and these savings then form a common pool of money from which loans are made to members. Members pay a low rate of interest on the loans and that money helps to pay the administration costs of the credit union.

To find out more information and how to become a member please visit https://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/content/credit-unions.

Help with buying essential furniture

If you receive Income Support or non-contribution based Job Seekers Allowance [JSA], you may be eligible for a payment from the Social Fund from the Department of Work and Pensions to help buy essential furniture. Whether you get a loan or grant depends on your personal circumstances. If you work and are on a low income we may be able to help you by applying to various charities or trusts that support families in need.

To apply and find out information please visit: https://www.walthamforest.gov.uk/wfsocialfund.